I love this meal and in fact, it is one of my staple meals for camping. It is so easy to make even the non-cook can make it! It is packed full of protein. I serve on a bed of wholegrain Kamut khorsan wheat spaghetti (available from organic and health shops) which contains a whopping 12g/100g protein. This recipe is so versatile. If you don’t have tinned tomatoes and paste, use ready made pasta sauce. If you don’t have a red capsicum, use another colour or whatever other vegetables are in the fridge!
- Olive oil to cook
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic (depending on size) peeled and chopped finely
- 2 large flat mushrooms, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, roughly chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 tin brown lentils (or use fresh if prefer)
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 red wine (optional)
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs or food grade essential oil herbs: Oregano, Majoram, Thyme or Basil*
- 1/8th cup (few leaves) fresh basil
- 1/2 cup spinach
- Add olive oil to pan and heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add mushrooms and red capsicum and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Mix in lentils and fresh chopped tomatoes
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the red wine (if using) and vegetable stock and cook for a further 10 minutes on low heat.
- Lastly add the mixed herbs and fresh basil
- For extra goodness add spinach at the very end and mix before serving
Serve on a bed of wholemeal spaghetti topped with fresh herbs *If using essential oils, please remember they are very strong. I recommend dipping a cocktail stick/skewer into the bottle and then swirling the end of this into the bolognese. If it is not strong enough you can always use another 'dip' of oil. One drop straight from the bottle may be too strong. **I only use and recommend doTERRA essential oils in food Note: I love to use shiitake mushrooms due to their high protein content