At Eager For Life I want people to eat more vegetables!
Whatever eating philosophy you follow (and everyone has an opinion on this), one thing is certain. That eating vegetables is good for your health (unless you are a carnivore however that’s another story for another day!) A 2014 study undertaken at University College, London showed that people who ate seven or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day had a 42% lower risk of death at any point in time than those who ate less than one portion.
So how can you make sure that your plate is full of vegetables?
Here are some great ideas:
1. Start your day with a smoothie which includes lots of greens
2. Juice! Vegetables are much better to juice than fruit because they don’t spike your sugar levels as much as fruit juice does. Beetroot, carrot, ginger and celery are a great combination.
3. Make Mondays meat free and pile your plate full of vegetables
4. Make a dip with vegetables such as sweet potato or beetroot hummus
5. Swap crackers for vegetables with your dip i.e carrot, celery, capsicum. Or try my celery leaf pesto
6. Visit your local market. Talk to the farmers and get some new recipe ideas
7. Replace fries/chips with a salad
8. Make a big pot of soup with lots of vegetables
9. Throw some spinach leaves into your stir fry/curry/stew/soup just before serving so it only just wilts
10. Ensure that your freezer contains some frozen veggies (spinach, carrots, peas etc) so that you always have vegetables in the house
11. Buy a bag of ready cut vegetables if you work late. Then you can come home and make up a quick stir fry
12. Roast a big tray of vegetables on the weekend and use in salads and wraps for lunches or lasagna or chilli for dinner
13. Make Zucchini noodles or lasagna instead of pasta
14. Get your vegetables delivered each week-then there are no excuses!
15. Research new ways to use vegetables. Can you stir fry Brussel sprouts with some onions and garlic for a new taste on this veggie? (Hint: highly recommended compared to boiling them like my parents did!)
16. Make kale chips instead of potato chips-the whole family will love these!
17. Use lettuce or cabbage instead of bread or wheat wraps
18. Make a big pot of tomato sauce and throw in lots of vegetables. Can be frozen and batched
19. Make my dairy free cheese sauce, packed full of vegetables and great served over more vegetables!
20. Try experimenting with adding vegetables such as beetroot and zucchini to cakes and slices
21. Use veggie “scraps” to make your own stock
22. Make a cauliflower pizza crust
23. Add cauliflower to mashed potato-or even use cauliflower and celeriac instead!
24. Make a vegetable omlette or frittata packed full of veggies
25. Use eggplant for lasagna instead of pasta
26. Stuff capsicums full of sautéed veggies
27. Make cauliflower rice
28. Eat more veggies at breakast
29. Grate zucchini into all your curries, stir fries, chill etc
30. Add herbs to every meal
So here are 30 ideas of how to get more vegetables into your daily diet. Have you got any more ideas? Comment below. I’d love to hear what you do, especially if you have children.
For some recipe ideas please head to my website: